Girls Inc. Identity Programs
On a continual basis over the course of the school year, we offer several Girls Inc. Identity Programs. These programs help to provide girls with empowering knowledge and skills to strive for greatness, be an advocate for their futures, and reach their full potentials.
The purpose of these programs is to guide young women on a positive path where, in a gender-neutral environment, they can explore who they are, build their self-confidence, become active and contributing members of society, and explore in an environment that is safe and interested in their individual needs. These programs provide a safe outlet for girls to keep them off the streets and engaged in positive youth development programming, guiding them to be active and productive members in the community.
Examples of Girls Inc. Identity Programs Include:
- Operation S.M.A.R.T. (Science, Math and Relevant Technology) – Girls develop enthusiasm for and skills in areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Through hands-on activities, girls explore, ask questions, and solve problems.
- Economic Literacy – Girls learn to manage money, invest, and begin to develop an appreciation for global economics. Girls explore how the economy affects us locally and globally and develop skills needed to be economically independent.
- Project BOLD – Girls learn to lead safer lives by developing skills and strategies for self-defense, including physical techniques. Girls also learn how to seek out and talk to caring adults about personal violence and to advocate against gender-specific violence issues.
- Sporting Chance – Girls learn to appreciate an active lifestyle as they develop movement and athletic skills, cooperative and competitive spirit, health awareness, and interest in sports and adventure.
- Media Literacy – Girls increase their awareness of the scope and power of the media and the effects of media messages on girls and women. They learn to analyze critically what they see and hear in the media, advocate for change in entertainment, news, and advertising media, and create images that are more realistic and reflective of their lives.
- Mind & Body – Girls have the right to accept and appreciate their bodies and are entitled to thrive in communities that invest in their total physical, mental, and emotional wellness. Girls need access to information, resources, and skills to be effective partners in promoting their own healthy development and to help ensure that girls have the support that they need to take charge of their own health.
- STEM Station – Provide a more advanced program model around STEM, focusing on station-style learning with components in engineering, electrical, architectural and other advanced science areas.
Girls Inc. Identity programs are free of charge to current members that are registered for other programs. Please refer to the Register page for a full list of current catalog options.